Skip to main content

Cocktail Conversation

Setting: A chilly winter's night. Person1 and I are strolling in the garden, right after dinner.

Person1: You're totally spoilt aren't you?! You should try to be a "good girl".

Me : Yea right. Whatever. Is it a crime, to have fun, to be a little crazy sometimes? If its one thing I've learnt, its that craziness is key to creativity, to liberation.

Person1 (Trapped, and knowing not what to say) :
....That all said and done, there must be a little discipline in your life.

Me: Wrong. Instead, you should have your own set of dynamic philosophies. These are philosophies you build on, based on your experiences.You keep experimenting with them, and if a particular philosophy fails, you chuck it, or modify it according to your reason.

Silence. I can feel the wind caressing my face, and a person2 somewhere close by, watching us. I'm guessing person2 is interested in the way the conversation is going, though when I look up at her, she gives me an expression that suggests otherwise.

I try to push Person1 to discuss this a little more.

Me: Well, I'm always going to be naughty, the 'bad girl'.

Pause.

I wait for person1 to say something. He doesn't.


Me: ...But I'm also going to become the world's best pilot, and then the world's best astronaut.

I dream these things happening, and I'm caught in my own trance.

Person1 looks back at me and chuckles to himself, as if he knows where this is headed.


Me:...I'm also going to be the world's best dancer. And then ,by the age of 33, the world's most well-known scientist.

The situation is becoming comical. In fact, Person1 is now laughing.
I see that there is no logic in what I'm saying, but something spurs me to keep going. I rant on for another 5 minutes, on several professions that fascinate me, on professions I'm going to be the best in.


*

That day, I walked up to my room feeling happy. I couldn't understand why though. What I'd spoken earlier made no realistic sense.

Flash forward to November 4:

I have this "moment of defeat". I feel like a loser. For some unfathomable reason, those memories come back to me right then.

I try to make sense of why I feel much lighter.

*

Now I figure!


That conversation was about having as many experiences as I could have. It was about each experience leaving behind a thought - a thought, that was my own mix of Brompton's cocktail*.

I do not suggest this as an analogy to 'gaining knowledge'. That's something only the 'collective consciousness' can understand.

It is rather, about 'gaining wisdom'. And that's what gave me the kicks back then.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
*Cancer patients are sometimes given a concoction called Brompton's Cocktail which consists of morphine, cocaine, vodka, and some flavored syrup.The morphine kills pain while the cocaine helps them to stay awake. The vodka and cherry syrup serve no medical purpose but are included because many people have silly prejudices about the use of these drugs and they feel better about it if they can think of themselves as having an alcoholic drink, rather than the dreaded morphine or cocaine.(source: WikiAnswers)

Comments

Hi Aishwarya,
Stumbled across your blog... Your posts are really nice... Keep it up.. and write more often..

All the best for everything :)

SP
Shunyata said…
Hi,
Thank u for those comments! Will attempt to write more frequently in the future..:)

I read some of ur blog posts. They were awesome!
Dheesh said…
What started as a common dialogue overwhelmingly changed into a extremely thought provoking parable.Just wondering what person1's thought process would be after reading this.Had i been him,in future i closely monitor all my conversation with you.Nice post
Shunyata said…
Hi Dheesh,

Hahaha! Person1 incidentally, happens to be much wiser than I am. He gave the same chuckle, when he read this post, that he had given me back then - as if he knew this was coming :)

Thank you for dropping by :)

Popular posts from this blog

The trip to B'lore

ATTENTION!!! I was studying for my GRE when I wrote this article. I wasn't trying to show off, just having some fun and playing around with words. In retrospect, I know for sure that I will not remember half the words I used here! Having received a plethora of requests commonly voicing an interest that i must start making my entries go public, i decided to give it a shot-and what better way, but to write my first entry on the B'lore trip we went to recently. I must admit that when i first heard the possibility of an IV trip to B'lore from my classmates, i thought it was just another of those quixotic notions they had launched in their minds-and were now trying to implant the same in everyone else too! It is interesting really,how the mind develops its own impermeable shield of thoughts to combat something that is unsettled for. I remember quite lucidly, how constantly my classmates fretted over college life(including myself). Eventually it dawned upon the seemingly def

American Karna

I had been walking to my second week of class, when I strode across his door. That was the first time I saw him. Legs upfront on the desk, and huge earphones that looped around his ears. No, this is not a story about love. It is about those first few seconds that lead me to being completely fatigued by this intriguing personality. Let’s call him K. Well, I would look up at K every time since then, as I made my way to class. Each time, I would hunt for answers to questions that I hadn’t even consciously framed in my mind. Occasionally I felt he looked up too, and maybe that made a difference. I do not know. That was last semester. This spring, I actually have classes with him. Perhaps there was too much dopamine being fired in my brain the first time I saw him enter through the door, that somehow fudge my ability to recall that moment. Although I try to pay attention in class now, I almost involuntarily look in his direction ever so often. He is strategically placed relative to me – to

THE TALISMAN

********************************************************** The following story has been constructed from real-life instances . ********************************************************** I will give you a talisman. Whenever you are depressed, just look around. You might not notice a poor man, and find your purpose in Swaraj. But you will still find peace. Listen! Please listen to me because we may never cross paths again. Make use of me now! I am living my last moments, as far as you are concerned. Yesterday, I was walking down this very cobbled street when it happened. I noticed two boys. Yes, two boys, who were racing each other up a wall. The elder refused to let the younger one win, but they hugged each other in the end, and then started laughing! So?..Well,do you not see? Hmmm. In my dream, this one guy had confessed his love to me through poetry. That has never happened in real life. Yesterday, I was still swimming in these dejected thoughts (before I saw the two bo