Skip to main content

Light as a Metaphor

I pick exactly two strands of the sun's rays and tie them into a bow. A present for that old man sitting out on his porch.  I walk up to him and hand over the gift. He attempts to smile but is so grief-stricken that his muscles merely twitch. He pauses for a moment, then says, "What gift?". I sit down beside him, watching people go by - gadgets in hand - completely cut off from the world. It is a sad sight from where we sit. He begins to recount his days from the past - playing cricket with his neighborhood friends, finding the love of his life, bearing children, and then his wife's eventual death. I listen empathically. He expresses sadness in how no one cares any more; that he sees no purpose to life now. There is a moment of silence before which he exclaims, "I feel the light!".

I leave the old man and walk into the darkness of the night. A youngster - perhaps 20-21? - is about to snort a drug up his nose, but stops midway as he sees me. He rolls up his sleeves, ready to fight. I approach him and in a moment, I am no longer a stranger. He has suffered much trauma; "there is an abyss of nothingness inside of me...", he laments.
"Expecto Patronum!" I yell. A whoosh of wind. A majestic phoenix rises into the air from burning blue-white light. I've just offered the young man imagination. "Hope!" he whispers, as dawn breaks into another day.

A pregnant woman at the other end of the world calls out to me. I rush to her aid. She is going to give birth to a child any moment now.  She knows it is a girl and sees no hope for the baby; the father will likely murder her before long. I look up at the heavens. I raise my fingers up in the air, painting a star here, moving a star there...yes, this one near Mars should move 49 degrees further north; this one here should move 67 degrees west. Perfect.  I have changed the course of history. The woman screams in pain. "Welcome to a new world little one", she cries, as a blazing meteor crosses the starlit sky.

I return home, exhausted from the adventures of the day. I load up the photographs I took of the elderly man, the youngster, and the pregnant woman.

Playing with light. What a joy it brings!

Comments

Viji Bala said…
Abstract, as always. Nevertheless, with good insight and enlightening, with a clear message and bearing the unmistakbale hallmark of 'shunyata'!
Unknown said…
Nice blog,It is informative article. I share the post with social sites. It is service provide in 24 hour Des Moines Towing.Thanks for sharing this post.
Unknown said…
When i started work in software development company.I gave a new dad gift to my first salary. This is best moment for me and my family.
Gavin said…
Your old man story and pregnant lady story combo is amazing. I really like this story. After reading pregnant lady story i feel very bad. I have no idea what should do. When i was search property managers in spanaway. Then i read your post.

Popular posts from this blog

The trip to B'lore

ATTENTION!!! I was studying for my GRE when I wrote this article. I wasn't trying to show off, just having some fun and playing around with words. In retrospect, I know for sure that I will not remember half the words I used here! Having received a plethora of requests commonly voicing an interest that i must start making my entries go public, i decided to give it a shot-and what better way, but to write my first entry on the B'lore trip we went to recently. I must admit that when i first heard the possibility of an IV trip to B'lore from my classmates, i thought it was just another of those quixotic notions they had launched in their minds-and were now trying to implant the same in everyone else too! It is interesting really,how the mind develops its own impermeable shield of thoughts to combat something that is unsettled for. I remember quite lucidly, how constantly my classmates fretted over college life(including myself). Eventually it dawned upon the seemingly def

American Karna

I had been walking to my second week of class, when I strode across his door. That was the first time I saw him. Legs upfront on the desk, and huge earphones that looped around his ears. No, this is not a story about love. It is about those first few seconds that lead me to being completely fatigued by this intriguing personality. Let’s call him K. Well, I would look up at K every time since then, as I made my way to class. Each time, I would hunt for answers to questions that I hadn’t even consciously framed in my mind. Occasionally I felt he looked up too, and maybe that made a difference. I do not know. That was last semester. This spring, I actually have classes with him. Perhaps there was too much dopamine being fired in my brain the first time I saw him enter through the door, that somehow fudge my ability to recall that moment. Although I try to pay attention in class now, I almost involuntarily look in his direction ever so often. He is strategically placed relative to me – to

THE TALISMAN

********************************************************** The following story has been constructed from real-life instances . ********************************************************** I will give you a talisman. Whenever you are depressed, just look around. You might not notice a poor man, and find your purpose in Swaraj. But you will still find peace. Listen! Please listen to me because we may never cross paths again. Make use of me now! I am living my last moments, as far as you are concerned. Yesterday, I was walking down this very cobbled street when it happened. I noticed two boys. Yes, two boys, who were racing each other up a wall. The elder refused to let the younger one win, but they hugged each other in the end, and then started laughing! So?..Well,do you not see? Hmmm. In my dream, this one guy had confessed his love to me through poetry. That has never happened in real life. Yesterday, I was still swimming in these dejected thoughts (before I saw the two bo