Skip to main content

That thing about Mumbai

1.The Ganesh Chathurthi festival that made Shantivan come alive - The Mumbai philosophy - "Ganesh isn't just God, he's a superstar!"

2.The bollywood quizzes (who fought with Salman Khan), the insane questions (Am I mature?), the different stories (largely Divya's own fabrications) that Divya and I shared @ office/on IP messenger!

3.Spreading pollution - The "Dostana factor" introduced at home and at SSI;

4.The assigning of names to every room-mate, and the immemorables with them:

Anu alais Draupadi : Have gone as far as we could go,in hymn & in search of a lost love ; rewriting a love story, only, one without an end;

Divya alais thalaivi (head) : Embarassing her at all our dine outs; embarassing her wherever we went - the best remembered being the train journey where a complete stranger seriously began advising her, telling her that she was in danger of becoming a psychopath;

The best movie we watched together : Chandni Chowk to China;

Bhavani, alais Krishna Bhavani for all the mature conversations we had, and for the mutual sympathy we shared every time Anu and Divya had their Socratic-like conversations; (If it interests you : Socratic, because Divya had a habit of asking questions for reasons quite unknown to her as well, and the usual conversations that followed with Anu went beyond common ground understanding);

Shakti : her association with Jorum (fever)and Jaundice; our parkview dinners together;

Neha : for the fun we had that Saturday night on Chowpatty beach; for her sporting nature when I pulled her leg on all Birthday parties midnight;

5.The inter-school meet : The first interaction with blind students -their dance, their singing, and the joy of realizing that life indeed is beautiful, even if you can't see. That sense of poetry that they instilled in me.

6.The train journeys back home - Tasting Mumbai at night/listening to music, kissing the wind sometimes sprinkled with rain at the footboard of the train;

7.Sundays @ Sion:

-Interacting with the kids, playing cows and bulls :)

-Betting with the students on who would win the IPL finals.

-The lunch sessions at Hanuman- eating (actually hogging) north indian delicacies (masala papad,paneer butter masala, dal tadka, butter nan...) and engaging in majorly ridiculous conversations;

-Hanging out at the movies, pulling each other's leg, and more;

8.The tea-time sessions, the Dostana factor (again!), the code resolving/blaming - the sarcastic wit that each of us displayed AGAINST each other @ office;

9.The walks back home with Jaya - talking shayari, and embarrasing her (as well);

10.The pani-puri foodstall, the sandwich aunty, and Amul cool uncle;

11.Playing card games in the early days of our stay with Anicham. The Borivali west hangouts.

12.The visits to Oberoi Mall - the food, the fun, and the shopping - living life "Queen Size"!

13.The wine effect - the infusion of high spirits caused by drum beats that rang through Shantivan for every other occasion;

14.The Virar-Borivali conflicts;

15.The stress-therapies;

16.The Inter-Maitree meet: Becoming a kid again - throwing water balloons, singing "If ur happy and u know it" together, dancing to all those 'make-me-feel-good tunes' with everyone else,competing with other teams in games like pass-the-bucket.Finally losing out to the PINK team,(I was in ORANGE), but something that stood for the best times of my life!

17.CSS_NET/CSS_MKT : The joy of opening the market just four seconds after the stated time (It never opened on time). The moments of turbulence when it didn't: when it got stuck at the opening stage,(and refused to give login) or when a new architectural change was introduced;

18.The dam-building at National park on Earth Day.

19.The birth of Adhaa, the dawn of realisation of the "Toss a Coin' principle, and the 'What if I die tomorrow" principle that brought me here, to the US.

Comments

Rohit Kumar said…
... and I am happy that you went ahead with that thing called "Your Dream" :)
Shunyata said…
Thanks Rohit! It really is liberating! :)...
By the way, ur blog entries are awesome!

Popular posts from this blog

The trip to B'lore

ATTENTION!!! I was studying for my GRE when I wrote this article. I wasn't trying to show off, just having some fun and playing around with words. In retrospect, I know for sure that I will not remember half the words I used here! Having received a plethora of requests commonly voicing an interest that i must start making my entries go public, i decided to give it a shot-and what better way, but to write my first entry on the B'lore trip we went to recently. I must admit that when i first heard the possibility of an IV trip to B'lore from my classmates, i thought it was just another of those quixotic notions they had launched in their minds-and were now trying to implant the same in everyone else too! It is interesting really,how the mind develops its own impermeable shield of thoughts to combat something that is unsettled for. I remember quite lucidly, how constantly my classmates fretted over college life(including myself). Eventually it dawned upon the seemingly def

American Karna

I had been walking to my second week of class, when I strode across his door. That was the first time I saw him. Legs upfront on the desk, and huge earphones that looped around his ears. No, this is not a story about love. It is about those first few seconds that lead me to being completely fatigued by this intriguing personality. Let’s call him K. Well, I would look up at K every time since then, as I made my way to class. Each time, I would hunt for answers to questions that I hadn’t even consciously framed in my mind. Occasionally I felt he looked up too, and maybe that made a difference. I do not know. That was last semester. This spring, I actually have classes with him. Perhaps there was too much dopamine being fired in my brain the first time I saw him enter through the door, that somehow fudge my ability to recall that moment. Although I try to pay attention in class now, I almost involuntarily look in his direction ever so often. He is strategically placed relative to me – to

THE TALISMAN

********************************************************** The following story has been constructed from real-life instances . ********************************************************** I will give you a talisman. Whenever you are depressed, just look around. You might not notice a poor man, and find your purpose in Swaraj. But you will still find peace. Listen! Please listen to me because we may never cross paths again. Make use of me now! I am living my last moments, as far as you are concerned. Yesterday, I was walking down this very cobbled street when it happened. I noticed two boys. Yes, two boys, who were racing each other up a wall. The elder refused to let the younger one win, but they hugged each other in the end, and then started laughing! So?..Well,do you not see? Hmmm. In my dream, this one guy had confessed his love to me through poetry. That has never happened in real life. Yesterday, I was still swimming in these dejected thoughts (before I saw the two bo