Skip to main content

To sir, with love

It was the year 1996. Another warm summer’s day. The curtains had been drawn so that a faded shade of yellow coloured the otherwise bland room. I sat there gazing dully at my father, a string of thoughts slowly engulfing my mind.

-Would I ever make it to the tenth standard?
-If I persistently remained dim-witted for the next five years (i.e. from 6th to 10th std.), failing in my tenth boards was of course one thing-but it was more, the forced association with maths for that long a time that frightened me. I gulped. Between living a nightmare, and choosing death, I wasn’t left with much option.


My brother was to blame for my newly discovered tenth standard phobia .Watching him pace across the room with a book in his hand every day and every night with a “board-exams-can-kill” attitude, it was, but natural, to treat tenth standard as the ultimate crucible and something against which I could measure all scales of progress, to and fro.
(Maths which I considered as a separate entity altogether didn’t leave one with any other choice but death).

“Chapter 1. The Number System”

I pulled myself back to common ground. My father glanced at me, giving me the impression that he was aware of my sense of foreboding, but he did not seem perturbed. He returned to reading the book, and I noticed his forefinger was bent and touched the tip of his thumb, moving in a manner that was in perfect synchronization with the rhythm of his voice.
At least I had something good to look forward to. Today was Tuesday. I mentally recited the serial agenda, only to make myself feel better.

8:00 –Tu Tu Main Main
8:30- Junoon
10:00-Padosan
10:30-


“Are you able to understand Jiki?”

I looked at him, then at the book, trying to give an impression even if mildly so, that I had been concentrating. My eyes darted across the page, my mind desperate to pick on words that could offer some scope for asking questions. Something clinked into place.

“How can there be negative numbers? How can you define numbers that don’t exist?”

I knew even before I had plunged into the second question that he had been conscious of my mental absence, but he nevertheless ploughed on to answer it. My attention however, was now drawn to the left page.


GANDHIJI’S TALISMAN

I will give you a talisman. Whenever you are in doubt or when the self becomes too much with you, apply the following test:
Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man whom you may have seen and ask yourself if the step you contemplate is going to be of any use to him. Will he gain anything by it? Will it restore him to a control over his own life and destiny? In other words, will it lead to Swaraj for the hungry and spiritually starving millions?

Then you will find your doubts and your self melting away
.

(signed)
mkgandhi



I read it again. I faintly registered my father’s voice enunciating in the distance, but did not allow it to intervene into my thought flow this time. I read it once more, perhaps with a little more interest, but was still unable to understand why it was placed in the preamble of a textbook. I remained in my confused thoughts for a long time after that, much after my father had closed the book, and much after I had finished watching my serials.
I do not know why, but I never questioned anybody about it either.






It is the year 2006. Today maths is possibly one of those few subjects that I treat with incomprehensible fondness (I got 90% in my tenth standard maths board exam!). It is indeed strange how life (or perhaps the perceptions of it?) can change so drastically with the tides of time. And it comes with a startling realisation.
The power in every word of that talisman.

(This incident has been narrated with minor modifications)

Comments

Harish said…
Happa.. That was one long hiatus! welcome back :)
aura said…
hi...

well, if u want to know abt 10th...ask me abt it...i did horribly the whole year..esp in maths...but ended up doing pretty well in the boards...actually 11th seems to be even worse than 10th cos we are putting in more hard work for the rev exams than what we did for the boards...
btw ...can i know what those minor adjustments are ??? ;-) hey..do check out my blog later on...
c said…
ASH! WHERE HAV U BEEN? DO U NOT KNOW HOW TO PICK UP THE FONE AND CAL? havent even gotten to wish u yet for new yrs.. what da.. anyways i started blogging for wht its worth.. yet to come up wit thought provoking writing.. but its a start so far.. check it out neway and Do msg or cal me ASAP.. miss u.regards & best wishes,
charan- if u rememember me
Anonymous said…
God u kill me with ur writing...nice stuff.....
Shunyata said…
idha laam romba over...ur SARCASTIC HUMOUR at it AGAIN huh! ...we'll call it fair and square some day...U JUST WAIT!

Popular posts from this blog

The trip to B'lore

ATTENTION!!! I was studying for my GRE when I wrote this article. I wasn't trying to show off, just having some fun and playing around with words. In retrospect, I know for sure that I will not remember half the words I used here! Having received a plethora of requests commonly voicing an interest that i must start making my entries go public, i decided to give it a shot-and what better way, but to write my first entry on the B'lore trip we went to recently. I must admit that when i first heard the possibility of an IV trip to B'lore from my classmates, i thought it was just another of those quixotic notions they had launched in their minds-and were now trying to implant the same in everyone else too! It is interesting really,how the mind develops its own impermeable shield of thoughts to combat something that is unsettled for. I remember quite lucidly, how constantly my classmates fretted over college life(including myself). Eventually it dawned upon the seemingly def

American Karna

I had been walking to my second week of class, when I strode across his door. That was the first time I saw him. Legs upfront on the desk, and huge earphones that looped around his ears. No, this is not a story about love. It is about those first few seconds that lead me to being completely fatigued by this intriguing personality. Let’s call him K. Well, I would look up at K every time since then, as I made my way to class. Each time, I would hunt for answers to questions that I hadn’t even consciously framed in my mind. Occasionally I felt he looked up too, and maybe that made a difference. I do not know. That was last semester. This spring, I actually have classes with him. Perhaps there was too much dopamine being fired in my brain the first time I saw him enter through the door, that somehow fudge my ability to recall that moment. Although I try to pay attention in class now, I almost involuntarily look in his direction ever so often. He is strategically placed relative to me – to

THE TALISMAN

********************************************************** The following story has been constructed from real-life instances . ********************************************************** I will give you a talisman. Whenever you are depressed, just look around. You might not notice a poor man, and find your purpose in Swaraj. But you will still find peace. Listen! Please listen to me because we may never cross paths again. Make use of me now! I am living my last moments, as far as you are concerned. Yesterday, I was walking down this very cobbled street when it happened. I noticed two boys. Yes, two boys, who were racing each other up a wall. The elder refused to let the younger one win, but they hugged each other in the end, and then started laughing! So?..Well,do you not see? Hmmm. In my dream, this one guy had confessed his love to me through poetry. That has never happened in real life. Yesterday, I was still swimming in these dejected thoughts (before I saw the two bo